Total Pageviews

Monday, March 5, 2012

Day Two of my Vacation from Parkinson's Disease

Tuesday, February 28th, 2012, Day Two of my vacation from Parkinson's Disease started at 6:40 am, when leg cramps jolted me awake (I guess they didn't get the NO PD memo). I did my usual morning stuff and we picked Lynn up at her hotel at 10 am and headed for Algodones, a little Mexico border town about 10 miles from Yuma, AZ. (IF you are lost, read Day One of my Vacation )

future Rodeo star?
Lynn wanted to look for a new purse, some medicine and jewelry (all available at bargain prices).   As we started across the border, my left foot decided to cramp (I guess it didn't get the NO PD memo either).  I figured we'd be out of there by noon, I was wrong. At 2 pm, we found a bakery and had jumbo fresh baked cinnamon rolls for 70 cents each. The only picture I took was a humorous one of a little boy riding a dog.  It was too crowded to take pictures of her shopping so I found places to sit as Lynn and her Dad shopped.  

We wandered around and around and Lynn got right into the bargaining spirit that is the way of life in Mexico.  She happily scored a real leather purse, several bracelets and some very nice necklaces for "better than cheap stuff at Walmart" prices and picked up some gifts for friends back at home in Orlando. She bought some antibiotics for her dog and some fancy face cream for herself and her Dad picked up a bottle of Kahlua for a neighbor.  It was 4 pm and we decided to leave.    

Step-daughter Lynn in Mexico
Oops, there was a line to get back through the Border and it was FOUR blocks long.  We stood in line, well, honestly, Lynn and her Dad stood in line. I would find a bench up ahead and sit down and wait for them to catch up to me and then repeat the process. Most of the people in line had gray hair and were giving me funny looks as I sat, but I didn't care.  It took 2 hours to get out of Mexico. Lynn posed on a bench and let me take an official picture of her in Mexico.  

After we finally got back to the USA, we took Lynn to Famous Dave's Bar-B-Que for dinner and then came back to the house.  We sat around and visited until 11 pm when we took her back to the hotel.

I had survived Day Two of my Parkinson's vacation (kind of).

Thank you for reading this story, I hope you enjoyed it. This is just one of a hundred stories in my book, Parkinson's Humor - Funny Stories about My Life with Parkinson's Disease. Please consider purchasing a copy from or your favorite online book seller. Thank you and have a Happy Parkie Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment