Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Parkinson's Humor - The Book...an update

I have turned my blog stories into a book.  

Why create a book? Why not? It's another way to spread the laughter.

I found out that getting a book published by a major publisher is nearly impossible, however, my friends in the local writer's club said you can self-publish and eBooks are the future and you can do-it-yourself, if you can figure out the complex formatting requirements. So after much research, I created an eBook for Amazon, so people with various eReaders could download it.


Book cover
Much to my surprise, I also had a lot of requests for a regular book, so I went back to work and created and self-published a paperback version,which had completely different formatting, of course. I did all the work, designed the covers, made sure it looked like a book should and uploaded it. This paperback version is available on Amazon. 


back of book
I can purchase the books directly through the printer and sell them myself, which is what I am doing right now. I write these stories in hopes of brightening someones day, which in turn, brightens mine.

I would love to be able to give the books away for free, but I didn't have the winning numbers on the lottery ticket I bought last week and Publisher's Clearing House didn't ring my doorbell. I am hoping to recruit some sponsors, but it takes time. 

So, if you are reading this and would like a copy of Parkinson's Humor, the book, contact me at yumabev@gmail.com and I will send you one for $15.00 + actual postage (USA and Canada only) The rest of the world, it's just too expensive for postage. I'll even sign it.
Yuma Bev singing

If you are a Parkinson's Group and would like to use my book as a fundraiser, I will sell them to you at cost and you can keep all the profits for your group.

If you would like to be a sponsor, or had those winning lottery numbers, please contact me and we'll see if we can spread the laughter to those who need it most.

Have a Happy Parkie Day!

yumabev@gmail.com


5 comments:

  1. Got the book in the post today, found it mildly amusing (English sense of humour and American are sometimes very different)BUT it IS a masterpiece and should be issued to every newly diagnosed parkie. It runs through the symptoms in a flippant thorough way and should ease the fears and trepidations of many new parkies. Bev you are a miracle you have portrayed the ins and outs of this disease so that even I being full of inspiration have been further inspired. MY good friend you deserve the highest accolade the U.S.A. can award you.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev Ribaudo, what an absolutely uplifting and funny book. It came at 6 PM today by UPS and I am already on page 98. As I read, hardly a page goes by that I don't tell my Wonderful Wife, who is 28 years my junior about what you have written about you and your Wonderful Husband who is 20 years your senior. You have written a book that is well worth the ten bucks and should be read by anyone with PD, their caretakers and anyone who wants to know what life is like with PD. Good job girl.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded this book yesterday on my Kindle and literally couldn't put it down once I started reading it in bed last night. As a person with PD (Parkinson's Disease), I find it so refreshing and uplifting to read about Bev's ability to look for the humor in her circumstances. She turns potentially embarrassing moments into opportunities to laugh, lifting hearts and making new friends on her journey. I highly recommend this book to anyone with PD, family members and friends of PD folks, caregivers, and actually, anyone facing difficult circumstances, physical or otherwise. Humor lifts our hearts. Bev has given us all an incredible gift with this book. She IS a gift! Oh, and one more thing: Not only is this book funny, it's also filled with great, down-to-earth advice for people with Parkinson's -- so much so that she's been a guest blogger on the Michael J. Fox website twice within the last few months. Kudos, "YumaBev"!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoying your book!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bev, your internet pest here. Of course we both love your book. Your sense of humor is right up my alley and you've answered so many of my questions. Without a formal diagnosis yet, I find all of your advice and videos so practical and helpful. Not taking ANY medicine at all and relying on diet and rest, plus what ever exercise and vitamins I can manage has helped greatly. We both are so fortunate to have you and your wonderful husband in our lives. JC and I both had horrendous lives, but nothing to compare at all to the things you've overcome. You are a miracle in so many ways. You are a shining example of what everyone should strive to attain. I don't always get up to that mark; I, like everyone else have off days, as does JC, but there it is. We love you and your husband, both.

    ReplyDelete