Total Pageviews

Friday, January 20, 2012

Exercise helps Parkinson's Disease

Do I exercise?  Exercise is a "four letter word" to me and I really don't know how to answer this question when I am asked. 

Morning stretches
I walk around the house early in the morning standing on my tiptoes with my arms stretched towards the ceiling, but I wouldn't call it exercise.  I'm just trying to un-kink all the tightness in my body caused by the Parkinson's Disease and sleeping in the same position all night. 




I dance to music, but that's fun, not exercise.  

I usually park my car at the far end of the parking lot and grab the nearest cart to help me get to the store, but that's because I don't want the car to get dinged, not for exercise.  

At night, while we watch TV, I stretch my arms above my head and out to the side with fingers stretched wide, to un-kink myself before I go to bed, but not for exercise. 

Walking with neighbors
I walk every morning with my neighbors, but I don't consider it exercise.  We talk and laugh and stop to visit with anyone who is outside so it's more like a social outing.  



I walk from room to room in my house, a LOT, but it's because I can't remember WHY I went into the kitchen, not for exercise.  

So, I guess the answer is no, I don't exercise, but I know I should.  I will start tomorrow, I won't have time today, I have to walk with the neighbors, do
Dancing with Erv
laundry, go grocery shopping, and I promised my 80+ something neighbor Erv that I'd teach him how to waltz (he thinks it will help him pick up gals at the senior center) and later is karaoke, but tomorrow, I will start exercising tomorrow, I promise!


Thank you for reading this story, I hope you enjoyed it. This is just one of a hundred stories in my book, Parkinson's Humor - Funny Stories about My Life with Parkinson's Disease. Please consider purchasing a copy from Amazon.com or your favorite online book seller. Thank you and have a Happy Parkie Day!

6 comments:

  1. Yup yup yup. You can stay in shape just fine without little weights velcroed all over you and wearing a Gold's gym muscle tee. I would have to think twice before arm wrestling a mom with three little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have REMARKABLY similar Pajama Pants!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect.. love it~
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok bev, I guess I'll exercise today. still can't go outside though. brrrr.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd call that exercise! Especially the dancing! Sounds like a great routine.

    ReplyDelete