Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 14, 2012

YumaBev gets new glasses

Optical, dental, pharmacies line the roads
When I was in Mexico last week, I got an eye exam and new glasses. Just like Pharmacies and Dentists, Optical Shops are prevalent in Algodones. I didn't need a change for distance, but I did need a change for close-up (easier to get new glasses than lengthen my arms). This particular change has nothing to do with Parkinson's Disease, it, unfortunately means I'm just getting older. Darn, I can't blame it on the PD!

Lots of frames
We got there early, and surprise, the Algodones Optical Shop was already open, so I had a chance to try on some new frames before the optician arrived at 8:30am. They have frames of every size, shape and price range. I tried on a few and then got called into the exam room.


First he checked my pressures for glaucoma, they were good. He had me read the distance chart and began the usual "Which is clearer, lens A or B?" routine. Next he handed me the small print card, and my hands promptly began to shake. My tremors aren't bad, unless I am holding something in my hand with my elbow bent. I don't read books for this reason and I read the newspaper with it laying flat on the dining room table, so I don't have to hold it. Finally, he held the card for me and we got to where I could read the smallest type. He sent me out to pick out frames.
Rows of frames
Picking out new frames is difficult, and I rely on my Wonderful Husband to choose what looks best. He hates this, but I tell him he sees me more than anyone, so I only care if he likes them. I tried on dozens and we finally settled on a smaller frame than what I usually wear. I found a duplicate and gave both to the girl behind the counter (it was buy one, get one free). 
Not these frames

Not these frames
The Optician came back over, took some measurements and I was done. I decided to add some tint to one pair and asked to have my old glasses made into sunglasses. They said my new glasses would be ready in 2 hours, so I left and went to my Dentist appointment.

When I was done at the Dentist, all 3 were ready, my 2 new pair and new "old" sunglasses. They did some final adjustments, gave me a couple of cases and cleaning cloths and I wrote them a check for $50 (now you know why I go there). I checked out my new sunglasses and my brand new ones. I really like them, Hubby did good!
new frames

new sunglasses
We strolled the sidewalk where you line up to leave Mexico and headed back across the border. 
In winter, there are people for blocks 
Not a bad day, walked over at 8:15am, got Rx, new glasses and teeth cleaned and walked back at 11:30.

Clicking on colored words will open a new window with another story or link.

Thank you for reading this story, I hope you enjoyed it. This is just one of a hundred stories in my book, Parkinson's Humor - Funny Stories about My Life with Parkinson's Disease. Please consider purchasing a copy from Amazon or your favorite online book seller. Thank you and have a Happy Parkie Day!

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever thought about adding a little bit
    more than just your articles? I mean, what
    you say is important and everything. But think about if you added some great graphics or videos to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with images and video clips, this website could undeniably be one of the very best in its field. Fantastic blog!
    My webpage : Best Brand name Laptop

    ReplyDelete