Total Pageviews

Friday, August 5, 2011

YumaBev has Parkinson's Disease and goes car shopping

I was having trouble getting out of our car due to Parkinson's Disease. Getting IN was fine, but getting OUT was becoming difficult and even though it was a luxury car, the seats were uncomfortable for me.  We had a second car, a convertible, but it was even harder for me to get out of.
 


So, I decided to go car looking.  I say looking because I was doubtful that I would find the right car for me.  We have all the big brands in our town and all the dealers are in a row.  I don't LOOK like there is anything wrong with me.  I have a small window every morning when I can move like a normal person.  Almost.
I started with the bigger SUV types, thinking that higher off the ground would be better.  They were easy to get OUT of, but not so easy to climb IN to.  I am short, barely 5 foot 2, and these are for tall Pappy Bears, not this little Goldilocks.  The salesmen kept asking what color I wanted and what options and were terribly confused when I would say, I just want one that fits me.


My Wonderful Husband said "lets look at the sporty models".  So I tried them, they looked sharp, but I needed the salesman's help to get out.  These cars are designed for middle age Guy Bears, not me. We had ruled out the sedans and I didn't want a Momma Bear mini-van.  I could only try a few each day, before I got too rigid.  I tried the smaller SUV types, but nothing fit.

YumaBev's boring white PT
I was just about to give up when I saw a PT Cruiser.  I gave it a try, and it FIT.  Perfectly.  It was easy to get in and out of and had an armrest that moved with the seat and I could reach the pedals without being up against the steering wheel.  So I bought one.  But my Wonderful Husband missed me riding in his convertible, so we found a PT Cruiser convertible and bought it, too.  Now I have my run errands car and can go riding with him in his, too.  
Wonderful Hubby's colorful PT

Goldilocks and her handsome prince Cruise happily ever after.


Thank you for reading this story, I hope you enjoyed it. This is just one of a hundred stories in my book, Parkinson's Humor - Funny Stories about My Life with Parkinson's Disease. Please consider purchasing a copy from Amazon.com or your favorite online book seller. Thank you and have a Happy Parky Day!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new car. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good you found one that fit.
    I am very proud for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the PT was a good fit, for a while, then I got a used HHR and now it's uncomfortable, so I'm back looking again *sighs*

      Delete
  3. This is funny and good information, too. My question is what color did you get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White, boring, practical white (it gets very hot in Yuma). Every car I've ever got for myself has been a very boring color.

      Delete
  4. We just found one too. I can get in and out wonderfully. Chevy Equinox Cajun red, for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I struggle to get out of cars too. Taking off seat-belts can be a challenge too! Stuart

    ReplyDelete